Thursdays are made for fresh pasta making. Little Izzie made some fresh egg ravioli this morning that she stuffed with a combo of mushrooms, ricotta, garlic and egg yolk. She attended a pasta making class a couple of weeks ago which has now come in very handy indeed :). Topping the ravioli is a lovely pesto made with blitzed pistachios and basil. Unbelievably good!
We are big mushroom lovers in our household, they are a very versatile cooking ingredient especially for plant-based foodies, providing a great alternative to meat in cooking. They are extremely nutritious, containing the following when cooked:
- The mineral selenium which protects the body against tissue-damaging free radicals.
- A cup of stir-fried shiitake mushrooms contains potassium, a mineral that is crucial to heart function, muscle contraction, digestive and muscle function.
- Cooked mushrooms are low in all forms of unhealthy fats including trans fats and saturated fats.
Fresh Mushroom Ravioli
Serves 2 as an entree
3 large free-range eggs
2¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1/4 cup water
4 oz fresh white mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
For the pasta:
- Put the eggs and flour into a bowl and stir until you have a ball of dough. Knead on a flour-dusted surface until smooth. Cut in half, wrap in plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes.
- Flatten one piece of dough by hand, rolled it until it’s about 5mm thin. You will end up with a large flat piece of very thin dough.
- Cut out 2×5 inch rectangles and cut each rectangle in half. (You will end up with about 12-15 pieces of ravioli when ready to cook).
- Pipe 1 tsp of mushroom filling on 1 half of the ravioli, then place the other half on top. Press down around the filling area to seal the ravioli. Trim into squares.
- Cook in boiling water for 6-10 minutes. Serve with your sauce of choice!
For the mushroom filling:
- In a medium skillet, cook fresh mushrooms in hot oil over medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Add the parsley and garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolk, ricotta cheese, and mushroom mixture. Cover and chill until needed.