Feeling bloated can be very uncomfortable and I reckon we all suffer with it from time to time. Today’s blog post is dedicated to nutrition tips for reducing or eliminating this horrible sensation. Here are a few of my top tips:
- Do without salt. Sodium content in processed foods can cause dehydration which has a knock on effect to bloating, so avoiding foods that are heavily processed are a good idea. When you’re preparing meals, reducing salt and adding flavor through herbs and spices can really help too.
- Eat potassium. Potassium controls and regulates fluid balance which can ease bloating. Foods such as avocado, banana, tomatoes and leafy vegetables are a good source of potassium.
- Bloat busting foods: Cucumber, kiwi fruit and rosemary are all powerful foods which help reduce water retention.
- Drink smart: Reducing or cutting out alcohol at least in the short term can help reduce hydration. Replacing alcoholic drinks with water will increase hydration and keep bloating under control.
- Take time to eat and digest: Eating more slowly reduces the risk of gas build up in the stomach plus it’s a more pleasurable way to enjoy meals.
I’ve got some great bloat busting meal ideas using kiwi, avocado, banana, tomatoes, kale and cucumber, links are below: