Doesn’t this plate of breakfast deliciousness piled high on a toasted bagel look amazing? Whilst that’s definitely true, I must confess is that it’s scrambled tofu rather than eggs that I conjured up for brekkie this morning.
Tofu works really well as an egg or meat substitute and it’s a useful breakfast ingredient. It’s a superb source of protein and contains amino acids which make up a large amount of our cells, muscles and tissue.
I used a gluten-free bagel for this breakfast but obviously the choice is yours. Enjoy!
Tofu & Veggie Scramble
1/2 pack extra firm tofu
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 cup of spinach
3 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp mustard
A little cayenne pepper
Salt & pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Add onions and stir, cooking for about three minutes, or until they begin to soften and brown. Add bell pepper & cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the spices,basil & mustard and stir fry, adding a little water to the pan.
- Add in the tofu by crumbling it with your fingers. Stir well. Then add the spinach and stir some more.
- Cook gently for about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, Squeeze the lemon over the pan, season well and serve straight away.