Continuing my focus this week on eating healthy food that provides energy and satisfaction, I made these small but very mighty oat and nut bites to show how useful clean eating snacks can be for energy provision.
These little bites are made with oats, mixed nuts (pistachios, cashews and almonds), some flax seeds and dried cranberries. The use of oats and nuts provides slow release energy that can help bridge the gap between meals as well as filling you up. Good stuff.
Fruit & Nut Oaty Bites
Makes about 20 bites
- 2 cups gluten-free uncooked oats
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup mixed nuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the wet ingredients and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, microwave on 20-second intervals until completely melted.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix well until the mixture forms a ball.
- Chill dough for 3 hours or until hard. Shape into 20 bites and store in an airtight container in the fridge.