I connect my deep love of food to memories of growing up in a family of great home cooks that made the most delicious tasting food.
One such easy to make dish is possibly the best potato salad in the world. It’s called Salade Olivieh and I’m not too sure as to its origins but it is made to enjoy with cold cuts or leftovers (would be great with cold poached or smoked salmon or some cold roast turkey breast) or as a sandwich filling (it’s also the best sandwich filling you’ll ever eat).
What I like about this dish is that it’s actually a complete meal, made with potatoes, cooked chicken, pickles, eggs and other ingredients and so substantial on its own too.
As I’ve noted before I think that potatoes receive some bad press these days due to the popularity of low-carb diets. In reality, potatoes are very beneficial to a balanced diet. They are a very good source of vitamin B6 and a good source of potassium, copper, vitamin C, manganese, phosphorus, niacin, dietary fiber. Complex carbohydrates such as potatoes are much more beneficial than simple carbohydrates like sugar or cookies which give a short energy boost followed by hunger pangs.
I couldn’t remember the recipe for Salade Olivieh so I asked my Mom to list the ingredients. She did and made it too, emailing me this photo of the finished dish. Thanks Mom!
1 1/2 lbs waxy cooked potatoes
1 medium whole roast chicken, skin and bones removed, meat finely shredded
1 small jar pickles chopped
8 large hard-boiled eggs chopped
1 1/2 cups peas boiled and drained
1 cup black olives
4 tbsp mayonnaise
6 tbsp Greek yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
- Chop potatoes roughly to 1 inch pieces.
- In a large bowl mix the potatoes with the shredded chicken, chopped pickles, eggs, peas and olives. Lightly toss them together.
- In small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt and salt & pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well. Some of the potatoes and eggs will eventually get crushed which is what it should happen and makes the dish even more tasty.
- Refrigerate the salad for 1 hour before serving.