When I was at school, we used to have a compulsory daily lunch, normally a grey looking meat and 2 vegetables type of meal. Those school lunches were pretty sad affairs & as a result I disliked meat for a really long time after I left school. I became a vegetarian for a while in my late teens but once I left College and started trying different recipes with meat it all changed.
Now I eat a little red meat every week. Not too much and never more than the 18 oz recommendation from the American Institute of Cancer Research. Eating a little red meat as part of your diet supplies your body with vitamin B12, which helps make DNA & keeps nerve and red blood cells healthy, and zinc which keeps the immune system working properly. Red meat also provides protein, which helps build bones and muscles. I often buy grass-fed organic ground beef which is natural and better quality than the regular kind. It’s a bit more expensive but as I cook for a family of 4, I find ground beef is better value for money.
This recipe is a balanced meal of crispy ground beef, veggies and some rice noodles. I used regular rice noodles but you can also use brown rice noodles too.
Asian Crispy Beef with Rice Noodles
2 tbsp chilli lime flavor peanuts
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 lb organic grass-fed ground beef
1 tsp runny honey
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
4 0z rice noodles
2 spring onions
1 fresh red chilli
2 large handfuls of fresh mixed salad vegetables, such as round lettuce, carrots & radishes
Handful of cilantro
- Put 1 tbsp sesame oil in a frying pan on a medium high heat. Add the ground beef, stir frying it and break it apart, followed by half the garlic and the ginger & honey.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes to crisp up and get golden brown.
- Crush the remaining garlic and ginger into a paste, then add the fish and soy sauces and lime juice to make a dressing.
- Cook the noodles according to the pack instructions.
- Trim the spring onions, then finely slice with the chilli.
- Prepare the salad vegetables, breaking the lettuce leaves apart, peeling strips of carrot and halving the radishes.
- Plate the salad vegetables then drain and add the noodles. Spoon over the dressing, sprinkle over the crispy beef, chilli, spring onions and peanuts.
- Garnish with the cilantro.