“Avocado Avocado is the name of the game, if you mess up you have to change the name” is one of these complicated song and hand clapping games that young girls of a certain age like to play in the school yard.
As I heard my daughter and her pal singing it loudly the other day for what seemed like the millionth time I got to thinking about avocados. I love them! I really like their creamy texture and zingy green color and also the fact that they are a very versatile cooking ingredient.
My favorite way to use them right now is to combine them with chocolate for a chocolate avocado mousse that is so delicious, you could certainly serve it as a decadent and tempting dessert with no complaints whatsoever. My singing daughter claims it’s her favorite dessert so that’s a testimonial right there.
Eating avocados can help reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the body. They are also jammed full of vitamins and minerals as well as fiber making them a nutrient dense food with plenty of bang for your buck healthwise.
This recipe is also vegan and gluten free.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse
1 ripe avocado
1/4 cup good quality raw cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp honey or 2 tsp of stevia
For the topping – sliced almonds
- Blend the avocado with a little water until smooth.
- Mix the cocoa powder and almond or coconut milk together in a bowl until well mixed and add the vanilla.
- Add the honey or stevia plus the avocado and mix well again.
- Spoon into serving glasses and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours to set.
- Serve topped with some sliced almonds.