My son Charlie recently went on a cool school field trip to a chocolate factory called Raaka Chocolate in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Absolute heaven you say, and you’d be right. They learnt how raw cacao is made into the chocolate bars that we recognize and they got to taste a little of the different flavored bars , his favorite being pink sea salt chocolate.
We’re hearing more and more about the health benefits of dark chocolate . It contains minerals such as potassium and magnesium. Potassium is great for enhancing muscle strength and maintaining healthy brain function whilst taking in magnesium helps increase energy as well as calming nerves and anxiety. Anything that promotes the eating of a little dark chocolate deliciousness is a bonus in my book!
This is a recipe for a sublime and devilishly good dark chocolate cake. It is gluten, sugar and dairy free but is just as decadent and as irresistible as a regular baked chocolate cake.
Dark Chocolate Cake with Almonds
Serves 8-10 slices
1 1/2 cups packed almond meal
1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup of pitted dates or prunes or a combination of both
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 f.
- Mix together all dry ingredients (almond meal, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt) in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the dates and water in a food processor or strong blender and blend until it forms a smooth paste.
- Mix the date paste with the wet ingredients (eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract) and mix until smooth.
- Add the wet to the dry and stir until smooth.
- Grease an 8 inch round cake pan, and pour in batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes before serving so that it has time to set.
- Serve plain or with fresh fruit. May also be served chilled from fridge.